Penn George Goertzel
August 2, 1947 - August 18, 2001

photo by William H. Calvin

Photo by William H. Calvin

On August 18, 2002, friends of Penn met on the shores of Lake Union in Seattle to scatter Penn's ashes as he had requested.  For additional photos of this gathering, click here

Penn's Obituary

Contributions in Penn's memory can be sent to the Cloud Forest School Foundation, P.O. Box 3223, Sewanee TN 37375.  They will be used for planting trees in the rain forest at Monteverde, Costa Rica.

Remembrances and photographs of Penn Can Be Added to this WEB Site.
 Email Them Here.

Penn's Memorial Service was held on Sunday, September 23 at the Richard Hugo House in Seattle.  It was well attended by family, friends and members of Seattle's theater community.  There were many moving remembrances of Penn from people who knew him at different periods of his life.   After a break for dinner, there was a Reading of the Literary Works of Penn Goertzel, with parts read by many outstanding local actors.
A booklet was distributed containing selections of Penn's writings and family photographs.

Links to Remembrances and Photographs:

John Goertzel's Announcement of Penn's Death.

Selections from Messages from Penn's Friends.
To add your message, just email it here.

Messages from friends in the Buena High School Class of 1965, with a photo of Sandy, Penn and Kaye at the 1985 class reunion.

Penn's thoughts on alcohol, Quakerism, Buddhism, friendship and other topics while awaiting a liver transplant.

Three Poems Published in 1970.

A Photo Album Sent by Penn's ex-wife, Kam MagorPenn and Kam

A composite photograph prepared by William H. Calvin.

Some childhood and family photographs.

Penn and the family at Mildred Goertzel's Memorial Service.

Family members at Penn's Memorial Service, September 2001.

A picture from Penn's Buena Vista High School yearbook showing him posing as the "Class Clown."

A larger file of Penn's portrait, suitable for printing with a color printer.

"Penn Day" at Eaton School.

Penn in Intensive Care at the University of Washington Hospital, a few days before he died.